Sunday 6 March 2016

Rail in a Rail - Modern, Traditional or ...just Relevant


Daley's Rail in a Rail Quilt - 72" square

After sharing some of my quilts with a group of quilters I was asked if I considered myself a modern quilter.  Before I really gave a lot of thought to my answer I replied I didn't like labels.  Rather, I enjoy many things about both traditional and modern quilting.  I love the precision of traditional quilting, but I am truly drawn to simple shapes and fresh colors.

My quilts and patterns are a blend of both traditional and modern quilting.

Take for example my newest pattern - Rail in a Rail.  The fence rail block is a very old traditional quilt block.  This block is often the block that beginning quilters start in their first quilting classes.  But, if you embed a smaller fence rail in a larger rail, add a monochromatic color scheme and you have a very modern quilt.  This design takes what was a very simple quilt and adds some more technical piecing, increased attention to layout and color choices.  And all this is before you even consider how to quilt the top.  Deciding on how to quilt a Rail in a Rail quilt is yet another learning.

It is not by chance that all the small rails meet precisely to create a diamond pattern in this quilt.  Rather, attention to accurate 1/4" seams, pressing to create nested seams and an organized approach are all key contributors to the success of this quilt.  It is a challenge to get all those tips and tricks into a written pattern.  This is when the written pattern or video simply can't capture the benefits of a face to face class.  It is impossible to get an answer to your specific questions from an online video.  We all learn in a face to face class.  I hope my students get as much from my classes as I do.  

For me, quilts today have to be relevant - to be loved and used.

When I started my first sketches of this quilt, I set out to make a quilt with simple lines and colors that my son Daley would want in his first home.  Whilst Daley still uses the quilt he took to university, this one had to be a quilt that he would want for his home.  This quilt had to be relevant to his style and preferences - no intricate piecing or fall colors for him.  The quilt also had to be useful, not a wall quilt or lap quilt for one for him. 

But, what is relevant to Daley may not be the same for everyone else.  For me to be relevant to a broader quilting audience, I try to make a more than one size of a quilt, switch over to more traditional colored and quilted versions for all of my quilt pattern.  As of right now, I have finished three Rail in a Rail quilts and have another three in progress.  Four are very modern, but the last two are anything but modern. 


Come join me at The Threaducation Centre in Calgary for my Rail in a Rail class on Saturday, July 16th.  We will be making the 42" square quilt top in the class, sharing those tips and tricks for a quilt success and  having a group discussion on quilting options for your quilt.  Let's work together to make a "relevant" quilt for you or that special someone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment