Sunday 21 February 2016

Always Learning - A Day at 3 Dudes Quilting in Phoenix

I always come away from a class with some new tips and tricks to share.  Today I spent the day with Ray Steeves of 3 Dudes here in Phoenix.  The shop is delightful.  The classroom is big with plenty of light, plug ins and good cheer.

Today we picked 10 sets of 6 - 2 1/2" strips that "play nice together" from Ray's scrap bucket and set about to build a new rail fence block.  I did "cheat" a bit and threw in a couple of neutrals that I had brought along.  

Here is Ray setting out the basics of our blocks.


When we picked out our strips we didn't know how we were going to use them.  I was in a monochrome mood and made Arizona coloured blocks.  I have more orange blocks to make.  A dear friend's penchant for cheddar is rubbing off on me.

Here is the first four of my blocks.


My solids are Essex linen and snow Kona.  The learning today, there is a gold mine in our scrap bucket!

My tip of the day - pressing on a damp cloth.  Put your blocks on top is a slightly damp cloth and your seams are even crisper.  The cloth can't be too damp. But rather slightly damp and your blocks will be flat and crisply pressed.

Thank you ladies and Ray for a delightful day.  If you are ever in Phoenix, it is worth a stop!

Www.3dudesquilting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment