Tuesday 29 April 2014

Lesson Learned - It's all about Scale

I have discovered "made fabric" blocks.  Made Fabric was coined by Virginia Findlay Wolfe.  For me, made fabric is one modern interpretation of crazy quilts or crumb quilts.  The whole creative process is quite soothing and very creative.  I have become addicted to making 8 1/2 inch made fabric blocks.

Now, what should I do with them.  After deciding on a simple sashing with some solid color blocks, I simply assumed the sashing should be 2" finished.

Wrong!


When I looked at the three first rows of the quilt all I could see is thick solid sashing.  The sashing totally overpowered the made fabric blocks.  All my creativity seemed to be wasted!

A simple adjustment to a 1" finished sashing was all that was needed to scale the sashing for the blocks.  Take a look at the reduced sashing on the right side of the photo.

So, ... the lesson learned is audition one block for scale before I go ahead and assemble 1/3 of a quilt. I don't find ripping to be a very creative process.

The positive in this was the wasted blocks were an opportunity to cut and sew yet another design.  Another new project in the works.




1 comment:

  1. Aha! now I see the reasoning behind "nothing but thread in your wastebasket"

    ReplyDelete