Saturday 1 February 2020

Scrap Basket Quilt Along - Step 1

I've been busy cutting my solid and scraps for the quilt along, all done!

Now on to Step 1.  Included in the quilt are a number of half square triangles ("HST's").

Here are some of my finished HSTs, aren't they pretty?



When I first started quilting, HST were not my favourite quilting block.  I was always so disappointed when I lost the points on the corners of the block.


What I didn't realize at the time was that I had not set myself up for success in the first place!









I was initially taught to:
  •  cut two 2 7/8" squares, 
  • draw a line from one corner to the opposite diagonal on the reverse of one square,
  • place the two squares right sides together
  • stitch a seam 1/4" on either side of the drawn line,
  • cut the block apart on the drawn line,
  • press to set the seams, and open the blocks and press the seam allowance towards the darker fabric square and 
  • you should end up with two - 2 1/2" HST which when sewn into a quilt should be 2" finished.
The technique above didn't set me up for success.  The finished blocks didn't always measure 2" and often I had cut off the points of the block.

Later in my quilting life, I was introduced to Studio 180 Design tools.  Thank you Gail!

Using these tools the method changed, I now:
  • cut two 3" squares,
  • line up the laser line my Magic Wand from one corner to the opposite diagonal on the reverse of one square and draw a line on either side of the Magic Wand
  • place the two squares right sides together
  • stitch a seam on each of the drawn lines,
  • cut the block apart in between the on the drawn lines,
  • press to set the seams, and open the blocks and press the seam allowance towards the darker fabric square,
  • press to set the seams, and open the blocks and press the seam allowance towards the darker fabric square,
  • trim the blocks to 2 1/2" finished using my Tucker Trimmer and
  • I did end up with two accurate 2 1/2" HSTs.

The accuracy of my blocks improved because:
  • it is easier to cut a 3" square
  • it is easier to stitch a straight line when you are stitching on a drawn line and
  • it is easier to end up with an accurate 2 1/2" HST if you a trimming down a larger block.  

The technique becomes even better when you can make 8 HSTs at the same time by starting with two 6" squares. 





With the eight at once technique you draw 4 lines - 2 lines on either side of my Magic Wand placed diagonally on the square, and 2 more lines on either side of my Magic Wand placed on the other diagonal on the square.




Stitch on all four drawn lines and then cut the block apart.  Press the blocks and trim all 8 blocks to 2 1/2" using the Tucker Trimmer.

The Magic Wand and Tucker Trimmer are essential tools in my quilting bag.  You can ask for the Magic Wand and Tucker Trimmer at your local quilt shop.


For complete details of this technique and the HSTs to make for Step 1 of the  Scrap Basket Quilt Along.

Download the instructions from the link below.


Don't forget to post your progress on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag 

#scrapbasketquiltalong

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

Happy quilting!

Stay tuned for Step 2 on February 15th, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment