Saturday 15 February 2020

Scrap Basket Quilt Along - Step 2

Wow, that was a lot of HSTs to make in our first step, but it will be worth it!  In this step we will use 72 HSTs in the construction of 3 vertical Row A's.  Let's get started.

In Row A we have 3 units of 8 HSTs sewn together 2 HSTs wide by 8 HSTs tall.  It is easier to accurately piece units if the vertical seams of the HSTs nest when the HSTs are placed right sides together.

Let's look at the photograph below.


In the First Step of the Quilt along, the seam allowances of  HST were pressed towards the darker fabric.

In the layout at left, the HSTs have been placed to form two scrappy flying geese.

I have found my piecing accuracy for this block is best when I sew the horizontal seams between the top and bottom HSTs first.

After flipping the top HSTs on right sides together on the bottom HST, the diagonal seams need to nest.  The nested seams will lock together preventing the blocks from slipping out of position when sewing.  I often even press the nested blocks to further lock the blocks together.


If your seams will not nest with your desired layout, take the time to repress the seam allowances to ensure they will nest.

See the photo at right to see the nested seams.

To ensure I don't flip a block when I get to my sewing machine, I pin the side of the block which I am sewing.  This small step prevents a lot of "unsewing".

I like to use "leaders and enders" (blocks from a second quilt I am sewing) or piece of fabric at a start of a series of chain pieced blocks.

Not only do the leaders and enders prevent the corners of a block from being forced down into the throat plate of your sewing machine, but it also prevents sewing a seam that veers off an accurate 1/4" seam.


Once the two horizontal seams are sewn and pressed the joined geese are sewn together along the vertical.   See more details in the instructions.  

Download the instructions for Step 2 from the link below:

Scrap Basket Quilt Along - Step 2

Happy sewing this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment