Saturday 27 June 2020

Scrap Basket 2 - Step 11 Final Step

Inspired by a Tile

The inspriation for this block, came from an unusual place, the tile on the walls in the Vancouver airport bathroom.

Picture this, the tile has grabbed my attention.  I can't stop looking at the tile.  I don't have enough time to sketch out the block before I have to board my flight to Phoenix.  My family can't hold the boarding long enough for me to sketch as I was travelling alone this flight.  So snap, I did it.....I took a picture of the tile in the bathroom.  I quickly looked around, phew I was safe no one saw me snapping the picture.



Here is the picture.  Its not the greatest picture, but you can imagine the need for a quick snap!


Whilst this block is likely one of the easiest blocks in the quilt to piece, it is one of the hardest blocks to select fabrics to make it shine.






When I have taught this block before, I have
preselected some of the fabrics for the cuts and had chosen 2 - 4 fabrics for each of the remaining cuts.

Using the cameras on our phones, we auditioned the fabrics for the different cuts.  It was interesting to watch the debates over the fabrics and color choices.

Our quilting personalities sure came out.  It was great fun.



With this block, fabric selection and placement are key to creating movement.  Consider using:

  1. Large scale print
  2. Medium scale print
  3. Small scale print
  4. Geometric or striped variation
  5. Random dots.

Try the technique to select the fabrics for your blocks.  But, above all have fun!

This is the last block for the Scrap Basket 2 Quilt Along, just in time for the summer.  Don't forget to post your photos of your quilt on social media!

I started the first Scrap Basket Quilt Along January 18, 2020 and the Scrap Basket Quilt 2 Quilt Along launched April 18, 2020.  I hope you enjoyed these projects as we have navigated through our new normal.

Remember,  It's not about keeping busy, it's about being at "piece"!

Download the instructions for Step 11, the final step from the link below:

Scrap Basket 2 - Step 11 Final Step


1.   




No comments:

Post a Comment