Saturday 6 June 2020

Scrap Basket 2 - Step 8

Simple Strip

One of my favourite technique's is strip piecing.  I've been know to study a block and see if I can rework the instructions so that I can strip piece a block instead of sewing smaller squares of fabric.  This week's block is simply two different strip sets.

The strip sets are constructed slightly longer so you can "clean" up the left side of the strip sets before cutting the 2 1/2" strips.

Even when we align strips carefully, we still can end up with the left edge being that are off about 1/16" to 1/8".

A couple of years ago, I participated in the Tula Pink's 100 Blocks in a 100 days challenge.  There were squares in the various blocks that were cut as small as 1".  I don't enjoy piecing those little squares.  I can get a far more accurate block if I strip piece those small squares. You can bet that I studied those Tula blocks to see if I could construct the blocks in strip sets.


After looking at the secondary patterns produced with last week's block, curiosity got the best of me and again what would happen if....

 I tried the same partial piecing block with this week's block and the layout at right was the result.

There are 6 Simple Strip blocks in the quilt.

Download the instructions for Step 8 from the link below:

Scrap Basket 2 - Step 8






No comments:

Post a Comment